Why python > 36 so many dependencies?

gs-cygwin.com@gluelogic.com gs-cygwin.com@gluelogic.com
Thu Apr 25 17:46:09 GMT 2024

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 10:19:05AM -0400, Peter Lai via Cygwin wrote:
> Why does installing python > py36 result in bringing in so many
> dependencies like libXdmcp etc, when the intent is to just run python
> interpreter from cli? Is this because of the way it's built for cygwin? I
> build python all the time in NetBSD using pkgsrc and in FreeBSD ports,
> without needing all of those deps. I don't know much about how cygport
> works, is there a repo of cygport files I can look at?

The load at https://cygwin.com/git/ is too high at the moment
and I get "503 - The load average on the server is too high"

Take a look at some mirrors.

For cygport code:
https://github.com/cygwin/cygport

Lots of individual repositories under here with cygport projects
https://github.com/cygwinports/
e.g.
https://github.com/cygwinports/python36

Cheers, Glenn