Failure during build of Python 3.8 via cygport

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Tue Dec 15 09:07:34 GMT 2020

Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-developers wrote:
> On 15.12.2020 09:06, Mark Geisert wrote:
>> Hi Corinna,
>>
>> Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-developers wrote:
>>> On Dec 14 02:42, Mark Geisert wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> In retrospect, uname_x should be named _uname_x or so, with a leading
>>> underscore, so as not to pollute the namespace, but either way, that
>>> isn;t your problem.
>>
>> OK, I see.
>>
>>> The problem here might be that you get the old uname function if
>>> you dlopen the cygwin dll and dlsym(hdl, "uname").  Is that the
>>> case in python?
>>
>> Yes it is.
>>
>>> If so, I have a simple, dirty workaround below.  Can you check if that's
>>> the problem, please?
>>
>> A new Cygwin DLL built with your patch does correct this 'uname' issue when
>> building Python.  Wonderful!
>> Thank you very much!
>>
>> ..mark
>
> It seems I do not need to rebuild python for this reason. Correct ?

That's correct Marco.  But it allows me to build Python locally so I can produce
patch(es) for the test_asyncore.py issue involving AF_UNIX sockets.  When I've got
a patch I'll follow up on the cygwin-apps list, I guess.  Thanks for keeping an
eye on this.

..mark