Implement sched_[gs]etaffinity()

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Tue Apr 16 08:19:00 GMT 2019

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr 11 13:52, Mark Geisert wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Apr 2019, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> On Apr 11 10:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
[...]
>>> Btw., Glibc's cpu_set_t supports up to 1024 CPUs.  See
>>> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=posix/bits/cpu-set.h
>>> This may be ok for the foreseable future, I guess.
>>
>> Hi Corinna,
>> I will look into CPU group support; thanks for the pointers.  I also need to
>> fix the assumption I made about which flavor of pid would be handed to the
>> functions.. they will be Cygwin pids but need conversion to Windows pids
>> internally.
>
> Yeah, right, I missed to notice that.  I'll add a few notes inline
> over @ cygwin-patches.

I've updated my code locally to account for your notes on cygwin-patches;
thanks!  I've also spent some time researching Windows affinities vs Linux
affinities and have come to some conclusions.  I'm airing these for review
before I start coding in earnest.  I appreciate all comments from anybody
interested.

(1) On Linux, one deals with processor affinities using a huge mask that
allows to choose from all processors on the system.  On Windows, one deals
with processor affinities for only the current processor group, max 64
processors in a group.  This implies conversion between the two "views"
when getting or setting processor affinities on Cygwin.

(2) On Linux, sched_get/setaffinity() take a pid_t argument, but it can
be either a process id or a thread id.  If one selects a process id, the
action affects just the main thread of that process.  On Windows,
selecting the process id affects all threads of that process.

(3) For completeness, Linux's pthread_get/setaffinity_np() should probably
be supplied by the proposed code too.

(4) I was looking at Cygwin's fhandler_proc.cc, function
format_proc_cpuinfo().  There's a call to __get_cpus_per_group() which is
implemented in miscfuncs.cc.  I haven't seen in the MSDN docs whether each
processor group is guaranteed to have the same number of processors.  I
might even expect variations on a NUMA system.  Anybody know if one can
depend on the group membership of the first processor group to apply to
all groups?

(5) On Windows, a process starts out in a particular processor group.  One
can then change thread affinities in such a way that some threads run in a
different processor group than other threads of the same process.  The
process becomes a "multi-group" process.  This has implications for the
conversions discussed in (1).

(6) On Linux, processor affinity is inherited across fork() and execve().
I'll need to ensure Cygwin's implementation of those calls handle affinity
the same way.

So this is looking like a more substantial project :-).
Thanks for reading,

..mark