st_atime

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net
Thu Mar 13 12:33:00 GMT 2008

According to Corinna Vinschen on 3/12/2008 11:51 AM:

>   When last access time functionality is disabled, utilities that rely on
>   sst_Atime attribute will not work correctly. For example, the U option
>   of ls utility will not work as expected unless last access time is
>   enabled."
>
> *Sob*,

Agreed :(  Remind me to not switch to Vista any time soon.

But no different than using the Linux mount flag of NOATIME - except that
with Linux, you can make the decision on a per-mount basis rather than
globally, and the decision is not forced on you by a default installation.
  atime updates really do lead to slower performance, so even though POSIX
requires atime on non-read-only file systems, I can understand the
performance gain for skipping it.

--

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net