CWD and long paths

Jose A Fernandez jaf@kuriake.com
Fri Oct 12 18:57:00 GMT 2007

Is it okay to simply return the moral equivalent of ENAMETOOLONG?  It's
a hell of a surprise for a child app to do its thing in anything but the
expecteded directory.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Corinna Vinschen
    Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 11:13 AM

        On Oct 12 09:11, Brian Dessent wrote:

        What about just truncating the CWD and setting it to the root of
        the drive if it's too long?

        Rationale:

        - It's a consistant failure mode rather than indeterminately
        trying to pick some subset of the path.

        - It makes it clear and explicit that the user is trying to do
        something that isn't possible.

        - Such a case couldn't/wouldn't have worked anyway before, so
        it's not a regression.

    Sounds good to me.  This or Pierre's solution both sound fine.  I'm
    just wondering what would be the "least surprise" approach for the
    standard Cygwin user...